The Nose Ring

The Nose Ring

Al Mahmud


My mother’s golden nose ring was lost,

I searched here and there across all Bangladesh.

I went to the river and asked, is it with you?

Don’t touch, my body filled with silver boal fish- river replied.

At the bend of Harinber, Titas River cries,

Where white herons shed feathers and flies.


Leaving water I wandered into the forest,

Where green parrots sparkled like emeralds.

I pleaded to the forest, return it to me brother!

I want to go home with my mother’s jewelry.

Forest sighed, how can we find your mother’s lost treasure?

We are just birds and ordinary wild creatures. 


I went to the hill, expanding it's chest- it said,

I wear flowers in green hair, not nose rings,

But if you want the scent of blossoms,

Take it, stretch out your hands.

A thousand deer hid their faces amid the leaves.

Downing dark tresses, then came the long-haired night, and I started marching,

Without my mother’s jewelry, I'm not returning. 


Poet's Photo: 


Poet's Bio: 

Al Mahmud (1936–2019) was one of Bangladesh’s most influential modern poets, celebrated for his lyrical voice rooted in rural life, folk traditions, and the struggles of ordinary people. His poetry blended vivid natural imagery with deep social and political consciousness, often reflecting themes of love, loss, freedom, and identity. Al Mahmud’s acclaimed collections, including Sonali Kabin (The Golden Wedding), reshaped the language of Bangladeshi poetry with a distinctly earthy yet mystical tone. Beyond verse, he also wrote novels and short stories, exploring the cultural and historical landscape of Bangladesh. Despite controversies in his later life, his work remains a powerful testament to the beauty and resilience of Bangladeshi heritage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haven’t Seen You a Million Years